View Single Post
Old 23.10.2017, 10:28
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
aSwissInTheUS aSwissInTheUS is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Driving License

View Post
Won't the Strassenverhersamt at some point ask you to come in to get a picture taken to get in replaced on your license? Or is the picture the same for the rest of your life?
View Post
So I have the same question, does CH license still valid after 5 year of leaving Switzerland?))) Is it already striped or not?))) I am a bit afraid to write this question directly to the Swiss authorities, because it might be valid but after my question they will strip it))) ha ha.
It is valid forever and it does not expire (at least according current law and regulation which may change). As it is a driving license and not an ID the picture does not matter much. But you are supposed to update your address with the StVA/SAN when you move, even if aboard.

View Post
The Swiss one has no expiration date (point 4b). Soon I am going to move to Austria and technically, according to the Austrian law I can use Swiss license lifetime or on a voluntary bases convert it to Austrian driving license WITHOUT any test or exams....
Are you sure? You are aware that Switzerland is neither a member of the European Union (EU) nor the European Economic Area (EEA)?
So for example the interpretation regarding France given by someone else is also wrong:

View Post
If living in France, there are no requirements to exchange a Swiss licence, it's optional and confirmed verbally by my local "prefecture"(remains to be seen if the Swiss authorities see it in the same way!):

La personne qui possède un permis de conduire délivré par un autre pays de l'Espace économique européen (EEE) peut demander son échange contre un permis français équivalent, sous certaines conditions.

La demande d'échange est facultative. Ce n'est pas une obligation, sauf en cas d'infraction routière entraînant une mesure de restriction, de suspension, d'annulation du permis ou une perte de points.

PS: Here a new working link https://permisdeconduire.ants.gouv.f...duire-francais

In France a non EU/EEA driving license is valid up to one year after taking residence in France and must be converted into a French one if you wish to drive after the one year grace period.

The same goes for Austria. A non EU/EEA driving license is valid six months after taking up residency in Austria. If you wish to drive after this grace period you must convert it in an Austrian one.
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post: