View Single Post
Old 29.10.2017, 20:32
Forum Legend

Groaned at 444 Times in 382 Posts
Thanked 18,488 Times in 9,798 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It is nothing to do with the UK being generous or not, it is an EU/EEA/CH requirement. The state that pays the largest proportion of your pension is responsible for your your health insurance, unless you are also a citizen for the state you reside in. Thus UK pensioners are treated if they could access the NHS and Swiss pensioners as if they were in Switzerland.

If I were for instance to retire to another EU/EEA country I'd have pay Swiss health insurance as most of my pension will be paid from Switzerland, but if I retire to Ireland I don't have to as I'm an Irish citizen. Have been check this out as I'm getting to that point....
Yes it is not clear and self evident. I am dual English and Swiss and considered retiring in Germany but "The state that pays the largest proportion of your pension is responsible for your your health insurance" gets complicated with exchange rates to take into account etc.
Overall a good solution seems to be to live in Switzerland with their low mortgage rates and taxes but to shop in Germany, I am only 3 Km from the border.

For example, when I opt to not pay income tax in UK on my UK pension but to pay in Switzerland instead I see a financial saving despite I lose the UK personal allowance