View Single Post
Old 30.10.2017, 15:07

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Please, enlighten us.
My pleasure.

Quote:
6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement 1 or 2 others do not but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain and for many other member states to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do.
The Government position is clear, they want to keep reciprocal rights for EU citizens in the UK and vice versa, only under UK law rather than ECJ. ECJ rule in the UK is a red line. The ball is in the EU's court on this. Whatever happens in the negotiations, the right for EU citizens to stay in the UK under UK law is virtually guaranteed.