View Single Post
Old 30.10.2017, 15:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 423 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 19,939 Times in 10,665 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Link please.

No free treatment for us UK pensioners resident in CH- we have 300CHF franchise and have to pay 10% up to 700CHF. My knee replacement cost me therefore 1000CHF. So will the second one in March next year.

My comment however was about UK residents in other EU countries- as there private insurances do NOT have to take on anyone with pre-exisiting conditions- which is key for older retirees in particular.

From Gov.uk: new regs from 2015.

Within the UK, free NHS treatment is provided on the basis of someone being ‘ordinarily resident’. It is not dependent upon nationality, payment of UK taxes, national insurance contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS number or owning property in the UK.

As is the case already, most people, who live or work in another EEA country or Switzerland will continue to get free NHS care using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by the country they live in. This means the NHS can reclaim healthcare costs from the original country of residence.

Perhaps you are confused about retirees who have taken early retirement, and are not yet recipients of State Pension. We were in that position when we first moved here in 2009 - OH 63 and me 58. We had to pay Swiss Insurance until OH was in receipt of official UK state pension at 65 (I was then covered as his dependent.

Moreover, under new regs since 2015, UK retireees in EU and Switzerand now have free access to NHS UK, even if resident in other EU country or Switzerland- which was not the case before unless for emergencies using EHIC.
300 + max 700 = 1,000, it a way cheaper than a Swiss pensioner living in UK who will still have that 1k liability but have to pay 3600 a year premium to get FREE health cover. No doubt you can go to a private hospital if you want. What even worse is the premium has to be paid after tax, UK does not allow any deductions for health insurance.

I am not confused, I get free healthcare in Malta because I am British, however if I take a Swiss OAP I will have to pay Swiss health insurance & will no longer get free health care in Malta.

By UK retirees you mean people with a UK pension, just as a Brit with a CH pension (Swiss retirees) living in the EU will pay Swiss insurance & be able to get treatment in CH as well as where they live.

Edid 393 CHF a month for a Swiss pensioner living in the UK, no option on deductible
Attached Thumbnails
brexit-referendum-thread-potential-consequences-gb-eu-brits-ch-screen-shot-2017-10-30-14.38.20.jpg  

Last edited by fatmanfilms; 30.10.2017 at 15:41. Reason: Adding Helsana quote