View Single Post
Old 07.11.2017, 11:45
Forum Legend

Groaned at 45 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,996 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does it take to get rental deposit back after moving out?

Quote:
View Post
It's been 5 months since I moved out of my old flat but I haven't received my deposit back. I asked the realtor agent and she said it will take some time for the process. How long does it usually take? What's your experience?

Thanks
Oh, szdro, thank you for the tone in this post of yours! You make no accusations against the landlord or the agent, but instead are simply and politely asking for the information you need about the way things work. I like that.

The deposit refund can take a while because it is partly to do with the heating bill. Each year, after the end of the heating season, the agent makes a calculation based on the full heating bill, to apportion the amount to each tenant. This is according to some key, for example, the number of square metres of each flat.

The "end of the season" is a variable date, since it depends on how cold or how mild and how long the particular winter was. Also, the oil price is a variable but relevant factor.

Rather than billing the tenants only in winter, the tenants' burden is distributed in twelve even monthly payments, but this amount is merely an estimate of the anticipated heating costs. This means that, after the big calculation has been done, sometimes the tenants get a part of the heating costs refunded, and sometimes they have to pay in more.

In addition to that, the landlord has to account for the fact that some tenants move in or out before, during or just after the heating season.
The following 3 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: