Thread: Paternity Leave
View Single Post
Old 17.11.2017, 01:26
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,415 Times in 704 Posts
Tasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paternity Leave

I know of plenty of couples where both adults are equally qualified, but due to differences in their fields there is huge disparity in their earning potential.

Quote:
View Post
Yes.

I've just mentally gone through a list of about 20 families I know, some closely, others in the neighbourhood or friends of friends or other social and professional contexts, in Switzerland, with children aged under 18.

I found only two families in which one parent works full-time as the breadwinner and the other is a full-time stay-at-home parent. In both cases the breadwinner father is far more qualified than his wife and she could never earn as much as he does.

All the other parents who came to mind, whether they are single parents or in a partnership with the children's other parent, or in a new patchwork constellation, work part-time in order that they can be active in caring for the children part-time, too.

Their professions are across the full range: unqualified, unemployed, and/or ill, through partially skilled, all the levels of education up to doctorates, top level executives and the self-employed.

I think that this "major rethinking" has already taken place. Employers seem to be dealing with it, since it is what thes๊ parents are already doing, in practice.

Admittedly, I don't know anyone pursuing a sandwich model of "3 to 4 years" employed, then "3 to 4 years" at home with the children, then back to the employer for a few years, etc. I agree that that could be annoying for an employer.