View Single Post
Old 29.11.2017, 16:53
Forum Legend

Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 22,830 Times in 7,243 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Darker Evenings - Burglar Warnings

I'm sorry to hear that this happened, rgc. I hope your insurer plays nice, that you can recoup most of your loss.

I'd like to say 'I hope the miscreants will be caught' but sadly I know how little chance of that happening there is.

Burglary is becoming ever more common where we live, a sad sign of changing times.

It seems as if there is little effort to combat burglery, the reaction around here seems to be just a shrug of the shoulders as if a break-in is inevitable, with a reminder to up one's insurance coverage.

For this reason I have stopped training my dogs not to bark at movement outside our house while they are inside.

When several neighbors were burgled at the same time we were left alone. I am convinced that was because it is obvious to even a casual burgler, let alone a pro who has been casing the neighborhood, that in our house 'there be dragons'. The Muttley Crew sound mighty fierce from behind closed doors.

(And before the anyone jumps in re: barking... The dogs are trained to 'normal' expectations of quiet. When I am home if needed I quiet them immediately. But when I am gone they are my security system. My direct neighbor is grateful that they bark once in a while, as a burgler cannot tell if the woof comes from his house or mine. He benefits from their watchfulness.)

The times they are a-changin'. Even in Switzerland.
The following 4 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: