View Single Post
Old 06.12.2017, 13:28
Forum Legend

Groaned at 88 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,627 Times in 3,966 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Available for £1, so the cheapest branded chocolate in the UK.
Not by a long way.

When you know the price of everything and the value of nothing, you will never see the impact that this pre-Brexit phase is having on peoples' day to day lives. Over the last month, I had literally dozens of people telling me how much prices had gone up in supermarkets, and a joiner telling me how much the cost of certain timbers has increased over the last 6mths alone.

I had a long chat with 2 charities about how they're struggling to find enough second hand goods to fill their shops, and are looking at closing a large percentage of them, because people are hanging onto their goods for longer. Even got a courtesy call from the British Heart Foundation shop who were thrilled that the item I'd donated sold at full price a few days after it went on display, giving them well over £100 clear profit.

So whilst some in this thread are more inclined to brag about investing a percentage of their income, perhaps they should be reminded that hundreds of thousands of the people directly affected by Brexit are genuinely struggling to make ends meet, despite working full time. This "I'm alright Jack" approach sickens me almost as much as seeing huge collections of groceries for food banks at the end of the tills of every major supermarket I visited over the last month. If ever there was a truer indication of a failed government, it's that.
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: