View Single Post
Old 26.12.2017, 15:54
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: Freedom of Movement for EU nationals: should the Swiss bend the knee?

Quote:
View Post
LOL. Let's say the billion would really go all to the Eastern EU-members (which it will not, wanna bet?) will they be able to do buiness with Switzerland for a billion plus profit margin? (Without profit margin it would just be an interest-free loan - yep, still better than what it is now).

However, as I said, that billion is not what bothers me. (A good way to get rid off all those Euros the SNB is sitting on?)

Funny, if someone doesn't want to join someone else he/she is on a high horse. (It's horse by the way, not castle )

I feel a bit like trying to be forced into marriage. Not afraid of anything, just don't want to marry "the guy", okay?

Ah! You see, that option EEA is no longer there. We ruined that big time in 1992. And that was Blocher. I lived in St. Gallen at that time and watched him being very active there - against EWR. It was devastating. We wouldn't have the problems we have now had we said yes to EWR back then. And many of us knew that then. In fact, if 23836 people (okay, 23837) would have been on holidays that day, everything would be different today.
1. EEA is still an absolutely possible option. It was specifically designed for small reluctant countries. It makes no sense for big countries like the UK IMO (that's another discussion) but it makes perfect sense for Switzerland.

2. I am against forcing any country to join any organization. My ideal scenario is that the EU cancels the Bilateral Agreements with some reasonable notice period of 2-5 years and asks the Swiss to decide if they want to join the EEA or continue trading with the EU on WTO terms.
This user groans at lewton for this post: