View Single Post
Old 08.01.2018, 10:05
Forum Legend

Groaned at 453 Times in 389 Posts
Thanked 18,940 Times in 10,020 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Many of the more conservative and traditionalist Muslims I have conversed with have been French Muslims, hailing from North Africa, where things are different than in the Middle East.

But one recurring message I picked up, especially from the older generation, that is people who came to France in the 1960s and early 1970s and are now grandparents is that they feel the Liberal Establishment has got between them and the education of their children, and that they feel their children and grandchildren don't understand Islam properly and in its real context because they didn't get that context and they were taught things at school that contradict with that context. One guy told me that back in the 1980s, that long before Islamic extremism was the problem it was now, there was a group of young guys in his mosque who were talking like that and meeting outside of official prayer times and being taught things by self proclaimed teachers that were in contradiction to what the main Imam was saying. He said the mosque elders wanted to slam their foot down on that, and there had been some heated confrontations between mosque elders and these guys. These young guys had called in the police and basically got a court order prohibiting the elders from confronting them. This guy said we could have stamped out radicalism but your liberal state wouldn't let us. And this from a self avowed traditionalist. This is just one side of the story of course. So it needs to be seen through some filters.

The same guy told me BTW that he felt traditional Muslims had more in common with people like Le Pen than any of the more liberal parties because they stood for the same things, and he fully supported their fight to preserve traditional French values. But he regretted that many FN supporters didn't understand that.

Maybe conservatives need to reach out to Muslims a bit more?
"they were taught things at school that contradict with that context" What? Like evolution?

Quote:
Turkey drops theory of evolution from national curriculum as children go back to school
Source

I do not mean to embarrass you by quoting sources instead of anecdotes