View Single Post
Old 08.01.2018, 17:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 339 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 14,923 Times in 7,676 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
The political machine has put the interests of the political process above the actual concerns that it is supposed to address. It is valuing its tools higher than their purpose. Like the farmer who forgets his plough is there to break ground, and spends so much time tinkering with his plough that he grows no crops. One way of dealing with this is political trolling. To induce reform through exaggeration. The trollmaster general in the White House is definitely doing his best to make the international trolletariat expose their own inadequacy by the way they are over-responding to him.

But is this the right way to awaken democracy from its slumber? One of the greatest trolls of history, Emperor Caligula, tried to awaken his people to the riduculous state in which politics of his day had descended. He nominated his horse as senator, odered the construction of an impossible bridge, and did many other absurd things beside. But people still didn't get it.

Trolling only works when people are sufficiently smart to see they are being trolled and sufficiently open minded to be prepared to change. That wasn't the case then and it isn't the case today.

Which isn't to say that trolling isn't fun while it lasts.
Trolletariat! A new word that I like. I don't think Caligula was a troll, just a true tyrant of his times...(Trump though might be considered a troll, one who wants power not necessarily change) But anyway, let's play with the trolling thing - I prefer the trolling of Socrates, Plato and Diogenes. :-)
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: