View Single Post
Old 15.01.2018, 15:57
Forum Legend

Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: emplyment law: where can I get quick consultation about employment contract to si

Does this refer to your obligations during the employment or after it's ended?

It reads to me that this is outlining your responsibilities during employment, and it is not unusual to add a clause that forbids you to work for a competitor while you are employed elsewhere. But this is usually more about the legal maximum of working hours you are allowed to put in.

If this refers to a non-compete after your employment: in reality, these are only allowed where a former employee has access to highly sensitive, confidential information. This is usually a select few in any company, and certainly not someone writing code.

Also, any non-compete must be geographically restricted and time-limited - trying to get you to sign one that is entirely open-ended is ridiculous. Something like the one here will effectively make it impossible for you to find any job in your profession again for God-knows-how-long and God-knows-how-far, and it goes without saying that is not legal.

You should definitely not push your luck here though and I recommend not to sign this, though, even if it's unlikely to hold up if push comes to shove. Imo it's too risky.
The following 2 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post: