View Single Post
Old 21.01.2018, 13:04
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
anishsha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)

Quote:
View Post
No, quite the opposite.

You should assume that all meat is NOT halal unless specifically labeled as such.

There has been a political controversy in the last some years over halal/kosher slaughter wrt Swiss slaughter laws, as Switzerland strictly requires that an animal be stunned before slaughter. Odile's post points out that stunning can be halal, that halal slaughter does nto have to conflict with Swiss animal welfare law. I will leave theological debate to others, as that is not my area.

While there are more halal resources now than even a few years ago, be aware that the norm in Switzerland is most definitely not halal - neither in the chain grocery stores (Coop. Mirgros, Volk, Spar, Aldi, Lidl) or in typical Swiss restaurants. Some of the larger chains might carry a few halal products in their stores in the larger cities, but they are unlikely to carry halal meat. For that you generally need to find a speciality halal butcher.

Yes today you can find some halal markets and halal restaurants in the larger cities - but be aware that Uzwil is a fairly small town and not very international. When you arrive, your best bet would likely be to connect with a local mosque, ask the folks there about where to shop and eat.
Thanks a lot for giving a clear picture , I have seen there’s a mosque in Wil,so will have to inquire people there. I was able to find halal food near to a mosque in Zurich when I came last time 3 years back