View Single Post
Old 02.02.2018, 10:06

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The "I'm alright, Jack" attitude again.

The less short sighted of us wonder about knock-on effects and unintended consequences.

Be careful what you wish for.

Edit: added "and unintended consequences"
Yes, I'm alright, Jack. Why should I be concerned about some booze riddled expat on the Cost del Sol?

Quote:
View Post
That's useless.

As long as the UK is EU member there can not be any negotiations with 3rd party countries, which of course also applies to Switzerland. Full stop. The only conclusion is that at most there have been, and will be until Brexit has happened, informal talks but that's just that, informal and of course completely non-binding.

So what you have so far is the Swiss position. But keeping the status quo runs counter to UK's demand to control immigration so obviuosly the regime will change. That in turn means one doesn't know what rules will apply post-Brexit.

Heck, you don't even know whether the UK will stay true to what has been agreed to under the Bilaterale, in particular that people will keep rights they already acquired under the Bilaterale!
A clear set out negotiating position that's favourable to the UK is not useless.
This user would like to thank for this useful post: