View Single Post
Old 04.02.2018, 21:33
arianemin arianemin is offline
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: lausanne
Posts: 110
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 29 Times in 12 Posts
arianemin has no particular reputation at present
Non-EU contract finishing, wife is still student - unemployment benefits?

I am a married non-eu postdoc and I arrived in CH in July 2010 (I have student B permit). My wife (also non-eu) started her studies in Switzerland October 2010. We married two years ago, so she changed from student permit to my dependent permit. My contract (and at the same time our permit) will finish in 6 months, but she needs still 1 more year to finish her master. I am looking for a job but it not very likely I can find one (already applied for 200 positions in the past 3 years).
The other complication is that as non-eu her study duration is also limited to 8 years (will be finished in September 2018)
1. Do you think the authorities will give my wife a student permit (and as a result a dependent permit to me) provided that we show sufficient bank account and her certificate of university enrollement?
2. Can I still claim unemployment benefits in this case? Even if they agree with our permit it will take a few months, So I might not have any permit when I become unemployed. what will happen in this case? will they register me but will hold the payment until I receive a valid permit?
Reply With Quote