View Single Post
Old 20.02.2018, 14:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 4,853 Times in 2,197 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rent reduction for no hot water+heating

Quote:
View Post
What do you mean by "don't have control"?

You can obviously ask to get it fixed; and I guess you could complain formally if they don't.

But it's hard to say what you could claim for - is the room unusably hot or cold, so you could claim a rent reduction?

I guess if it is unpleasantly but not unusably hot or cold you would have to give them time to fix it.

Also depends on what is a reasonable expectation - in an older property like mine, "control" is a very relative term since the thermostats are all physical ones sub-optimally located in the rooms (e.g. behind doors), and dependent to some degree on each other since there's only so much hot water that can be pumped down the main supply pipe.
It's a relatively new build--5 years old or so (minergie). We have a thermostat for the living room, for one bathroom, and for the bedroom, the second bathroom has no control and the floor is always warm (the other rooms the floor is fairly cool when the heat is not on). It does have a washer/dyer in it, so I'm not sure if it was a design mistake, or they just always have it on as a 'drying room'.