View Single Post
Old 25.02.2018, 13:01

Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
peppermint has no particular reputation at present
Re: Considering to leave Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The question is WHY is life getting depressing here?And what makes you think any other country will be any different?

Life is what YOU make it, not what country you live in (though I have to admit the likes of Afghanistan would get me down)...
Well here are the main problems:

1. Social life
Rejection, exclusion, isolation.

Below are some of the highlights of my last 6 consecutive interactions with local people. Just to give you an idea of what's going on.

Dude 1: So, how long are you here?
Me: Quite a few months. I still feel like a tourist, but maybe after some time I'll stop feeling that way.
Person 1: Well, regardless how do you feel, for me, you'll be always a tourist. *leaves me*
Me:

Dude 2: In Switzerland, you're either accepted or not. One should be able to find this out in two weeks of arrival, but since you're here longer than this time you already know the answer.
*leaves me*

Dude 3. I approached some dude and he didn't say anything. Instead he gave me some strange look followed by waiving with a paw, indicating to move away. It was worse than approaching spoiled woman.

Dude 4. Then there was a guy, who jumped in front of me and started to stretch his face with hands in order to mimic my mug and make fun of it. And it wasn't a kid, it a was a young adult. I was horrified, because I've never experienced anything like this, especially from an adult male. I wanted to penalize him with a punch in the face, but I decided not to.

Dude 5: Where are you from?
After revealing where do I come from, the guy disappeared like a magician.

me: Can I have a cigarette?
Dude 6: You know, that we have a cigarette machines here? Can't you see them?
me thinking: "a-shole.". Then I moved away.

At this point I got fed up and headed it home. On the way to home I've hit a group of Germans, the same guys that I've spoken with before. One of them, apparently drunk, saw me alone wandering around. He called me and laughed loud: "Hey John! Can you introduce us your invisible local friend? Ha-ha-ha-ha! Have you really thought that you would meet some locals here?! Dude, this is f-ckin Switzerland! We have warned you!"

2. Dullness and boredom. I can't imagine australians moving here. Suicide mission.

3. Life style based around living to work and not working to live. I can't image greeks moving here. Sucide mission.

Long working hours. Leaving at 7, arriving at 7.

Company not giving a damn about me. They called me in two days after I've sent them CV, but hired me after multiple of months, probably because they weren't able to find anything better, and at the same time cheaper. If I'd do a smallest mistake, I'd probably be fired. Was called "slav scheisse". Constantly listening to coworkers about how Germany and EU are bad. There were also some very cheesy moments, for example when we had a team-meeting and it was time to read an email with a list of Chinese names in it. Whole team started to make fun of Chinese names and mimicking their faces.

That's not how i would define a good working environment.

4. Rubbish weather. No sun, the mist, the fog. Very depressive.

Quote:
View Post
The question is WHY is life getting depressing here?And what makes you think any other country will be any different?

Life is what YOU make it, not what country you live in (though I have to admit the likes of Afghanistan would get me down)...
I've been in other countries before. I was bullied, I was called scum, I was called out, got broken in the house, fought battles with most arrogant people on the Earth, been yelled at from randoms,... Experiences were very mixed but at the end of day, there was always something to find and I didn't feel that segregated in a society as I do in Switzerland. It's not that else it was perfect, but it wasn't that horrible as Switzerland is. Switzerland is just so tiring or something, it's hard to explain it really.
The following 2 users would like to thank peppermint for this useful post:
The following 4 users groan at peppermint for this post: