View Single Post
Old 09.03.2018, 14:11
Forum Legend

Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,713 Times in 8,546 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Sorry. I was in a rush and didn't reply completely/ properly.

If you're of a mind to, please read the first page of this, -particularly 'section v.'... https://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ata/e/eu/114768.htm

There is a school of thought that perhaps...just perhaps...as the current treaty will need to be amended to remove all mention of the UK, the current administration could see this as a window to change the tems of the current treaty with the remaining countries. One reason for this would be that countries which share a common language or colonial history, tend to provide the most and best fares to each other. Air France to Canada, TAP to Brazil, Iberia to Argentina, etc... For 15yrs that I know of, there's been a rare as rocking horse droppings £10 + taxes fare with BA from LHR to JFK. In 10yrs in the business, I only saw that fare available twice, because it sells out within seconds of the new 6mth season's fares being available.

Basically, I don't trust the current US administration enough to believe that they'll allow the remaining EU nations to just erase 'UK' from all their treaties and carry on regardless.
Quick read through that treaty shows me it is long and complex.

Seems to be over optimistic for anybody to believe a new long and equally complex treaty can be written, agreed and formally approved in a month.
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post: