View Single Post
Old 15.03.2018, 18:01
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 183 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Yes, how Brexit will affect the lives of expats living in Switzerland was clearly the most important topic to British expats living in Switzerland, and the general point of the roadshow, hence why all of the questions revolved around this.

It's not rocket science, Tobias.
I can't speak for anyone else at the British Nationals Roadshow, but I hazard a guess that many people are more concerned about all of the economic and political fall out of Britain leaving the EU then just about how this will affect their C permit application in Switzerland. People were concerned about how overseas voting regulations meant they didn't get a chance to vote. People are worried about how this will affect property ownership in EU countries and the ability to resettle in other EU countries after 2020 or if they held pensions in other EU states. Not just whether they can go from the UK to Switzerland and back unhindered. Which won't be affected anyway, unless the EU insists that Switzerland also renegotiates with the UK and unlike the factoid we were given, Britain is not the 4th largest import and export partner for Switzerland, we sit way down in 8th place behind Germany and France and the US.

I take it you enjoyed the reassurances offered by our consulate, I however found that no questions were actually answered in any satisfactory way. Felt to me like it was all down to the negotiations that haven't yet been agreed upon and about towing the Home Office line on a keep calm and carry on sort of way .