View Single Post
Old 23.03.2018, 22:47

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
youngtimer has no particular reputation at present
Exporting car from CH to USA

Maybe someone went through this process. I did it with an older car, that is NO problem. If it is over 25 years old, none in the States gives a d...
If anyone has an older car here it's how it goes: Go to the Strassenverkehrsamt, get the Fahrzeugsausweis in your name and get you some "Export tags". With those you have insurance and can drive the car for 1 month to your destination. From Rotterdam or Belgium your car can board a "RORO" Ferry (roll on roll off), it then sails the seven seas and arrives in the port of destination (i.e. Jacksonville FL or Baltimore etc). Not too expensive, I paid around 1200 Dollars. Have someone do a couple simple forms for customs and EPA and DOT and you are on your way in the USA.

Now to my problem: This car is NOT 25 years old. So the US thinks it is just a danger for the American public (even it is just fine in Switzerland). Has anyone worked with a so called registered importer in the USA or has any experience taking a car from Switzerland to the USA?
I inherited the car and it has low Kilometers (47,000). I am a longtime resident of the US (25 years) and usually my homecountry of Switzerland is the more bureaucratic complicated one, but in this case the US got it beat.