View Single Post
Old 24.03.2018, 17:39
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 73 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,170 Times in 1,085 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
I still struggle to get my head around the fact that British citizens can be stripped of rights and freedoms that they've enjoyed for 40yrs
They aren't natural birthrights. They are political and administrative rights given to people who are citizens of member countries of the EU. If the UK is not in the EU then obviously some of those rights will be lost. (I expect some to be retained, but that's just a personal opinion/instinct at this stage. Depends how negotiations go.)

I hope that doesn't sound flippant but that was what we voted on in the referendum. Did we want to retain all these rights, and accept the downsides of being in the EU? Or did we want to give some/most of them up, in exchange for being outside the EU? So we were not "stripped" of these rights. We had a vote on the issue and we decided to give them up. This is why "the sitting government of the day doesn't appear to view that as a matter of grave importance and concern" -- all they are doing is implementing the result of the vote.

I don't want to get involved in whether the right decision was made -- that's water under the bridge for me now. But "we" (in the broad sense) did volunteer to relinquish these rights ourselves.

Thanks to @eng_ch for the very interesting summary of your meeting.
The following 2 users would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post: