Thread: Salt Fiber Box
View Single Post
Old 08.04.2018, 14:53

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
xipher has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
For anyone interested, they were fairly quick setting it up for me. The box came in a few days, the network connection a few days later. The UI on the box is very limited in what it can do (no bridging that I found so far) and incoming port forwarding also does not appear to work (I believe Carrier Grade NAT is involved). It will give you an external IP address in the detail section, but that is not an IP you can connect to from outside. No IPv6 either. It does have dynamic DNS support, but that is a tad pointless when incoming connections don't work.

There has already been at least one firmware update, as after it got an internet connection, it started complaining about the password.

I find the comments about design particularly funny. The box is large, white, with white on white writing to tell you what the LEDs are showing.

Unfortunatley, nothing else in my house has the ability to talk faster than 1G, so getting a useful speedtest result is not happening. I have reliably measured 1G each way though so far.
Thanks for the review! Thatís very disappointing. They have this on their FAQs:

Will I be assigned a fixed IP address?
Yes, Salt will provide you with a fixed IP address which cannot be changed or modified.

I guess they are not lying even if all the customers get assigned the same shared IP.

Can someone confirm that they use CG-NAT? Thatís a deal breaker for me.