View Single Post
Old 04.05.2018, 12:48
Forum Legend

Groaned at 89 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 9,051 Times in 4,150 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeremy Corbyn refuses to denounce terrorist 'friends' Hamas and Hezbollah

Quote:
View Post
Out of interest, who would be your ideal leader of the opposition?
I don't have 'a name', and there are elements of various people that stand out, but not all in a single future candidate. I just don't currently see a potential candidate who's the full package.

One of my oldest mates worked quite a bit with Rupa Huq (Ealing) and I often have this debate with him. He has immense respect for Rupa, but doesn't think she wants to be leader. I admire the sheer intellect of Keir Starmer, but too often, he gets a 'rabbit caught in the headlights' look about him, and I know some have serious reservations about him for leader because the Ian Tomlinson case decision hangs over him.

Chukka Umunna is one many of my friends would like to see lead, and I like Owen Jones' tenacity, but he lacks the bite that Jess Phillips has in spades. I can't abide Emily Thornberry and Diane Abbott, and have little time for Angela Raynor.

Basically, I'd like to see someone with the legal intellect of Starmer, the no nonsense foresight of Gordon Brown, the 'take no prisoners' attitude of Jess Phillips , mixed in with someone who has an everyman appeal that can bring together people and business instead of alienating one or the other. The next leader absolutely must be able to get business onboard or the economy will tank.

What would your top 3 candidates be?