View Single Post
Old 08.05.2018, 19:57
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,777 Times in 728 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are you currently reading?

Two more secondhand books left here by ex expats :-):

"Galileo's daughter" was worth reading and nice, but not something I would rave about. The subject is in the title - it weaves Galileo's life story with letters from his loving daughter who spent her life as a "Poor Clare" nun.

"Shout" by Philip Norman is a brilliant, fat biography of the Beatles, packed with snippets of local colour and interviews with unlikely secondary characters (night club bouncers ...). Also very nostalgic for those of us who were in the UK in the sixties. Highly recommended.

I've got two books by Al Alvarez on the way from abebooks. An amazing man - poetry critic of the Observer, top alpinist, professional poker player. Also best friends with Sylvia Plath and best known for his book on suicide "A savage God" - I'll give that one a miss. Anyone read him?