View Single Post
Old 16.05.2018, 13:51

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
piizei has no particular reputation at present
Re: Sharing experience on car export to EU

Hi Vertedee!

Yes, you should be able to do the export/import at Konstanz. There you would import the car into Germany and not into France but that does not matter as it is valid for whole EU.
You will need the sales papers where the buyer is someone who lives inside EU (yourself or some relative with France address for example). Tax is calculated from the sales price and they will check from internet car sites that it is about right. They will also want to see the car.

To avoid import tax of 10%, you need some paper that says that car was originally manufactured and imported from EU to Switzerland. This can be on the sales documents. I did not have this and had to pay 10% even though it is written to my car that it is 'made in sweden'. It think you can write it yourself on the sales document, as long it is stated. My sales document was hand written paper from myself to my wife and that was not a problem.

Where you get the temporal plates depends on country. I think in germany you would get permanent plates just by taking it to inspection. In Finland where I registered you have to pay import tax and that's why you get temporal plates until the tax is calculated.
For France I cannot say for sure but I think you should be able to register it immediately for permanent plates. You can definitely drive there with Swiss plates and then just bring the plates back to Switzerland either way. For inspection you will need the original registration paper from Switzerland and maybe CoC depending of the age and model of your car. Just try without. If they ask it you can order one from internet. This depends a lot on the model of the car. Some cars like VW you need to order it and for example for Volvos the CoC can be seen from the body of the car. For Mercedes it is usually hidden somewhere in the car (yellow paper, if it's lost, you can order it). For Opel I have no experience but for VW and Merc it costed ~120-160e.
The following 2 users would like to thank piizei for this useful post: