View Single Post
Old 22.05.2018, 12:48

Groaned at 19 Times in 6 Posts
Capetownian has earned the respect of manyCapetownian has earned the respect of manyCapetownian has earned the respect of many
Re: UK qualified doctor working in switzerland

No problem! Send me a PM if you need more information and I don't respond, as I'm not on EF that often. Definitely, language should be your first priority - after all you will need to be able to communicate effectively with the patients (it sure helps ). Having said that - after growing up in english-speaking SA, my swiss german was rusty and my high german non-existent and I still found a job in internal medicine after only a few weeks. They are pretty desperate! It wasn't a nice job but it got my foot in the door...having said that, it was really difficult for me, writing all those discharge letters in a language I was barely a B1 in.
My life got a lot better after 18 months when I moved over to anaesthetics. There are pros and cons working here as a doctor - it's not all roses and sunshine - but there is no doubt it is better than the UK and SA! And the italian-speaking part of the country is gorgeous!