View Single Post
Old 08.06.2018, 11:35

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wayway has no particular reputation at present
Re: Experiences: what's so good about South Africa, anyway?

I've recently emigrated to Switzerland from South Africa.
I left SA not because of the social, economic, or political climate. I left because i was curios.
What i love most about South Africa is 1. it's diversity and 2. opportunities; Let me briefly discuss 2;

Opportunities:
South Africa is a developing nation and there are endless opportunities for those who are willing to stretch and reach out for the fruit. Development is happening at a snail's pace in rural South Africa but at a frantic pace within the business and financial hubs in urban areas. There is a booming middle class as people who were previously excluded from the economy are now joining and contributing to the economy. As a result, there is development and construction everywhere - new cities are being built to accommodate the migration into urban areas, local and international businesses are recognizing this opening up shop in these areas. There is a workforce of young energetic people who are looking for opportunities to grow.

Diversity:
I come from Johannesburg in South Africa, specifically Johannesburg North.
Joburg North is the melting pot of diversity - since the mining era in Johannesburg people from all over SA have been migrating to Johannesburg for opportunities. This is still the case today. There are people from all over the world in Joburg and my experience has been that its people are the friendliest of all the places I've traveled. People leave their homes and move to Joburg seeking out a better life - they arrive in Joburg open minded and willing to experience and build relationships because it's what's needed in order for them to survive; As a result, the culture of Joburg is social, friendly and open - all of these attributes can, obviously, only be experienced if one chooses to look at Joburg from this perspective - as with anywhere else.

Aside: Cost of living is quite cheap in South Africa.
In most urban areas for CHF80 you could have an A-grade steak and a craft beer for breakfast, lunch and supper - all this at a 3-4 star restaurant.
Most upper middle-class households enjoy the privilege of having a domestic worker who takes care of the home and earns them time back to enjoy life at a relatively low cost due to labour being inexpensive.
The following 5 users would like to thank Wayway for this useful post: