View Single Post
Old 17.06.2018, 13:51
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
If someone wants to believe in that stuff, they can, but that is and should be private to them. Those people should be protected to continue their beliefs or worship as a personal choice - emphasis on the "personal".

To paraphrase a well worn expression - treat it like your penis: it's fine to have one, it's fine to be proud of it but please don't take it out and wave it around in public.
Fundamentally, I agree with you. But then what about people wearing religious paraphernalia in public, like hijabs, yamakas, crosses, etc.? How about the churchbells that ring round-the-clock in Switzerland? And is Islam just a religion, or is it also a political structure? (See Islamic State, Sharia Law, Islamic Republic of Iran, etc.) Or a legal structure, the UK has 85 Shariah Courts according to Wikipedia. And what about traditions that have foundings in religion, like eg. Christmas?

In principal, I'm with you, do what you want and keep it to yourself, however, I'm afraid it's not quite as simple as that.