View Single Post
Old 20.06.2018, 18:23

Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
oscaar is considered unworthyoscaar is considered unworthyoscaar is considered unworthy
Are permit F holders required to pay full tax while working at the UN

I found a job at the UN in Geneva as an IT Consultant.

According to the HR, I was told I wouldn't pay taxes, I wanted to believe this was true so I searched online and I understand that UN employees (even consultants) are exempt from taxes but if the country still wants to make you pay (as in the case of Switzerland), they have no say in the matter.

Here is what I read from the UN site:

Quote:
15. TAXATION

Article II, section 7, of the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations provides, inter alia, that the United Nations, including its subsidiary organs, is exempt from all direct taxes, except charges for public utility services, and is exempt from customs restrictions, duties and charges of a similar nature in respect of articles imported or exported for its official use. In the event any governmental authority refuses to recognize the exemptions of the United Nations from such taxes, restrictions, duties or charges, the Contractor shall immediately consult with the United Nations to determine a mutually acceptable procedure. The United Nations shall have no liability for taxes, duties or other similar charges payable by the Contractor in respect of any amounts paid to the Contractor under this Contract, and the Contractor acknowledges that the United Nations will not issue any statements of earnings to the Contractor in respect of any such payments.
But Bern says otherwise: https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mi...-property.html

Also an article: Some UN consultants thought their income was tax free. They were wrong.

So the message is clear, but I still have three questions:

1) The law stated is for citizens and foreign nationals, but I have an F permit (temporary residence) so, will this change something?

2) If I pay, which I will, do I still pay the full tax (alv, avh, pension...) as a normal job?

3) I am living in vaud, but will be working in geneva ... someone please tell me I won't pay taxes in both contons

I am kinda sad b/c I have been unemployed and i was glad to find this job but pays around 4K/month and once I pay full tax, transport, insurance, rent, utilities, food ... I will have too little left. It sucks but hopefully I am trying to get some good news from anyone who knows about this