View Single Post
Old 06.07.2018, 06:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 60 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 9,485 Times in 3,911 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancelling recently signed rental contract?

My hunch is that the landlord with most likely not de-smoke-treat the flat. The landlord doesn't really have any strong motivation to do so nor, as I see it, any obligation to do so, since you agreed to renting the flat, having viewed it, and with no promise that the landlord would paint (on the contrary) the wood.

I'm sorry for you that you didn't notice that smell during the viewing.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make two lists.
List 1) what it would be likely to cost me (in time, money, communication, energy, frustration, etc.) to try to "force" the landlord to treat the wood. Perhaps ivank has a point. Does the Mieterverband recommend something along those lines?

List 2) the cost of finding a replacement tenant (if you want "out" soon), or of giving notice at the first possible date.

If the Mieterverband indiciates you have a strong case, and they can show you how to argue for it, then please teach us their advice. Thanks. It might, however, even if you are in the right, be less costly, overall, to simply move on.
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: