Thread: Salt Fiber Box
View Single Post
Old 10.07.2018, 08:48
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Spinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputation
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Final update from my side, yesterday finished setting up the network.

Apple TV - I'll keep it for now, in parallel with a kodi box and chromecast. One note - to change channels, tap up/down on the touchpad. (Tap, not click; i.e. a light tap). It's a pain in other ways (movies tries to get you to buy movies on iTunes, despite having Netflix installed), and there's no spotify... but for TV it's ok.

Fibre internet works, and having both the 2GHz and 5GHz wireless networks is a nice touch. Faster than UPC, but can't test if I can get the full 10gig as my desktop only has 2x 1gig ports. I could trunk them, find a switch... but at the moment it's just too much hassle. I'm happy with everything "important" having it's own gig pipe.

Port mapping works as well.

VPN is working (have a separate switch & AP that has a VPN tunnel to the UK , plugged into one of the gig ports).

The only thing I haven't tested is the telephone (and am not planning to).

With regards to UPC - they didn't call back as promised for the "special offer". Just goes to show how much they value their customers... One thing to note - the online cancellation form is NON BINDING. So make sure you sent a hardcopy via letter...

M.