View Single Post
Old 21.07.2018, 21:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The Lib Dems looked like they might offer an end to the two party setup when they were formed, but alas, that didn't happen.

To be honest, it was that long ago, I've forgotten what did happen to them. The Falklands War was probably a factor.
The old Liberal Party was the other half of the two party system alongsie the Conservatives (Tories and Whigs), until the Labour Party was formed at the turn of the last century.

The LibDem Party as it currently stands, didn't exist during the Falklands War. It was the SDP (remember the Gang of Four?) / Liberal Alliance.

As for their performance now, and speaking as a lifelong Liberal voter, I'm utterly disgusted with them since Cable and Fallon failed to turn up for the Tuesday night votes this week. If Chuka Umunna was leader of Labour, he'd have my vote in a heartbeat.