View Single Post
Old 30.07.2018, 15:24
Forum Legend

Groaned at 339 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 14,885 Times in 7,662 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Tell me who in these videos do you know personally?

The whole point of this subtopic is people change their views on Islam when they personally know a Muslim.
More like they change their opinions about Muslims, not on Islam. There is a subtle nuance here. I think it is the same about any group, or at least it should be. I think a person is defined by so many variables, a religion that encompasses so many cultures cannot, really cannot, totally define someone. I don't even understand why people choose to identify themselves only with a religion.
But are all the people of Islamic faith defining themselves only by that? Or first of all things about them? I don't think so. An Albanian is first of all an Albanian (even European, in some of the more aspiring or "progressive" minds), not a Muslim. I'm giving this example because I happen to know more about them.

I can see the good intentions, but wonder if, were I be in different shoes, wouldn't that bother me. I never agreed with this type of sympathy.
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: