View Single Post
Old 08.08.2018, 17:06
Forum Legend

Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,594 Times in 7,495 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
A blank sheet can be interpreted as rudderless. It can also be seen as an opportunity to bring everyone together and have a frank discussion about what to put on that sheet. Risk and opportunity are two sides of the same coin. But anybody not joining that discussion is leaving space for others who may seek other solutions.
I doubt that UK waved goodbye to its problems, maybe to some rather marginal ones. I also doubt they will be left with a blank sheet, exactly because some of the problems are old and cannot vanish overnight.

However, if we're talking about long term (positive) consequences, I might agree with you. But who would risk changing some things people will never agree to change...the famous welfare system for instance?

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/poverty/do...rty-report.pdf

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....support/latest

Quote:

UK Time period: 2009/10 to 2015/16

The main facts and figures show that:

over half of family units in the UK received some type of state support, including the State Pension and Child Benefit, over the period studied (for the purposes of this data, a family unit is defined as a single adult or a married or cohabiting couple plus any dependent children)

White British family units were the most likely to receive state support (of any type) and Chinese family units were the least likely to

White British family units were also the most likely to receive non-income related benefits, and Bangladeshi, Black, Mixed, Pakistani and Other ethnic family units were more likely to receive income-related benefits and tax credits

Since 2009/10, the percentage of family units receiving any type of state support has declined for all ethnicities apart from the Bangladeshi and Chinese groups
From my point of view it's admirable they will get to decide their own fate but only that as an option without any reform within UK will mean lost opportunities. As I said, I doubt though that people are willing to change that much and that fast. Macron has a hard time in France exactly because he wants to change some things. It's also admirable that he starts the change from within and plans to rock the boat across EU too. Of course, we shall see which countries will support him.

Last edited by greenmount; 12.08.2018 at 09:48. Reason: grammar
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: