View Single Post
Old 08.08.2018, 23:24
Forum Legend

Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,179 Times in 9,669 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think you need to agree the big picture things first. Do we want a generous and free welfare and healthcare system? I think most people do, even those who criticize the details do approve the overall concept. Then as a second step we need to sit down and work out how to ensure we can keep that concept and make it better. That is the secondary discussion.

Too many of these discussions, however, put the horse before the cart and let secondary discussions prejudice primary ones.

There will need to be reform in the UK. The UK has a huge backlog on reform. And I think that without the EU on your back telling you, you can't do this and you must do that, you have a far wider range of options open to you. But for that to work, many more people, including those who opposed Brexit, need to swallow their pride and come forward and take part in that discussion and table innovative proposals. They are achieving nothing by slamming the door on that discussion because they are still so sad and angry that they lost. Now is the time for that discussion. Further down the road, when much more is set in stone, it is much more difficult to come back and change things.

I'm not actually convinced that what Macron is doing is leading anywhere. But let's wait and see and give him a chance. We live in exciting times.
"without the EU on your back telling you, you can't do this and you must do that, you have a far wider range of options" The UK always had the power of the veto so not so black and white as you claim.

Biggest problem was the UK never really "got Europe", never really got involved and never tried to drive positive changes.
The major parties had little interest in the MEP elections which was a good route to insert people into the system to drive change.

Consequently and sadly I doubt any UK government will have much interest to explore any new options.