View Single Post
Old 28.08.2018, 02:00

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
dox has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt 4g or Swisscom for home internet?

Quote:
View Post
So in summary what do you suggest?
I'm going through the same decision: buying Swisscom, Salt or Yallo. I live in the center of Zurich so I guess reception should be good for the 4G and would like to have a very good connection at the cheapest price on the market.
My personal order is the following:
1. If fiber optic is available in the apartment or can be installed, get it and sign up with Salt Fiber. You can't get 1 Gbps (let alone 10 Gbps) from any other provider for that kind of money (40 if you are a Salt Mobile customer, 50 if not). Be aware, their customer service could do with some major improvements, but once installed, it's fairly problem-free.
Init7 (www.init7.ch) is also a good option - a bit more expensive and they only provide 1 Gbps, but their customer care is excellent.
Note - the difference between 1 and 10 Gbps is purely academic for a home user. I can't imagine the sort of usage a normal household would have to hammer that sort of bandwidth.
Advantage: best speed vs. cost ratio you can get; symmetric (equal up/down speed) connection. You also save the "connection fee" (30-35 CHF/month).
Disadvantage: depends entirely on whether the building has a fiber connection or not. If not, you're out of luck.

2. If no fiber optic is available / possible, look for internet providers via cable TV. Do not dismiss this option - UPC (Cablecom) is/was fairly competitive (around 500 Mbps down / 50 Mbps up for ~120 CHF/month). It is stable and does not depend on the weather.
Advantage: better availability of CATV compared to cable, decent price/quality ratio.
Disadvantage: some services are bundled (you're forced to sign up for TV in addition to the internet); you need to pay the 35 CHF/month "connection fee".

3. If no fiber and no cable, then internet over phone. Either mobile (4G) or landline (*DSL).

3.1. Over 4G.
If you are already a Salt customer for one of their bigger contracts (Plus Europe/World), they offer the possibility of a second SIM card which shares the same contract (so no extra monthly cost) - you do need to pay ~50 CHF for the activation and ~80 for the 4G router, one-off.
I believe most other providers (Swisscom, Sunrise etc) have similar options, but I am not familiar with the details. As advised, test the signal in your specific location - most smartphones can get apps for checking the signal strength, so you might just be able to have a friend with Sunrise / Swisscom / Salt /... come over and do a measurement (rather than buying several different SIMs).
This can work fine as long as you have a contract providing unlimited internet in Switzerland AND as long as the signal is OK. Read the T&C carefully to ensure there's no "fair usage policy" (i.e. a data volume cap per month).
Side note: if you get an additional router and connect it to the LAN port of the 4G modem, you are no longer bound to the 10 devices limit if you use NAT (Network Address Translation). However... the LAN port on such devices is typically 100 Mbps, so that is the absolute cumulative maximum you can get across all your devices.
Advantage: take anywhere with you.
Disadvantage: depends on signal strength and weather conditions.

3.2. Over landline
I think Swisscom is the biggest player here. Check the prices on their websites, but (to me) this service offers the worst price/speed ratio.
Advantage: available pretty much anywhere, doesn't depend on weather.
Disadvantage: expensive for the bandwidth you get (typically up to ~60 Mbps download).