View Single Post
Old 04.09.2018, 15:55
Forum Legend

Groaned at 70 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,723 Times in 2,028 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Seems a bit harsh on Reagan, not that I'm in the habit of defending him but his policies brought an end to the USSR leaving the US as the only superpower at the time. I can't reconcile that with Spanky swanning in unprepared, pressing some dictator flesh, saluting a couple of men in uniform and declaring 'peace in our time'

And who did Reagan win against? Carter, the competent but perceived unlucky file muncher.
The Reagan camp also very likely conspired with the Iranian government to trade certain frozen Shah assets against the embassy hostages (they were released on Inauguration day, IIRC).

Quote:
View Post
I didn't think the GOP let him run, I thought they were as horrified as everyone else at the prospect, but unable to stop it, no?

They thought he could engage a lot of voters (for Jeb).
Worked brilliantly.

He was perceived as a useful idiot.

Since certain events in the past, German politics usually shies away from having any kind of useful idiot, perceived or real, to catch some voters.

Because assuming your opponent is an idiot is usually the first but most grave mistake you can make.