View Single Post
Old 04.09.2018, 18:18

Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
taduncombe has earned the respect of manytaduncombe has earned the respect of manytaduncombe has earned the respect of many
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Bob Woodward - a famous investigative journalist from Watergate - has a new book on Trump. It's original reporting, mostly via interviews with his numerous contacts throughout Washington (from what I can tell). The Washington Post has an advanced copy they highlight a few of the revelations, they're nuts... from incompetence to malice and everything in-between.

These jumped out at me:
Quote:
Dowd [Trump's lawyer] told Trump: “Don’t testify [to Robert Mueller]. It’s either that or an orange jumpsuit.”
Quote:
After Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad launched a chemical attack on civilians in April 2017, Trump called Mattis and said he wanted to assassinate the dictator. “Let’s f'ing kill him! Let’s go in. Let’s kill the f'ing lot of them,” Trump said, according to Woodward. Mattis told the president that he would get right on it. But after hanging up the phone, he told a senior aide: “We’re not going to do any of that. We’re going to be much more measured.”
Quote:
At the urging of advisers, [Trump] then condemned white supremacists and neo-Nazis [at Charlottesville], but almost immediately told aides, “That was the biggest f'ing mistake I’ve made” and the “worst speech I’ve ever given,” according to Woodward’s account.
Quote:
Trump told Porter that Sessions was a “traitor” for recusing himself from overseeing the Russia investigation, Woodward writes. Mocking Sessions’s accent, Trump added, “This guy is mentally retarded. He’s this dumb Southerner. … He couldn’t even be a one-person country lawyer down in Alabama.”
Quote:
Cohn, a Wall Street veteran, tried to tamp down Trump’s strident nationalism regarding trade. According to Woodward, Cohn “stole a letter off Trump’s desk” that the president was intending to sign to formally withdraw the United States from a trade agreement with South Korea. Cohn later told an associate that he removed the letter to protect national security and that Trump did not notice that it was missing.
Quote:
[John] Kelly said of Trump: “He’s an idiot. It’s pointless to try to convince him of anything. He’s gone off the rails. We’re in Crazytown. I don’t even know why any of us are here. This is the worst job I’ve ever had.”
Quote:
Trump questioned why the government was spending resources in the [Korean Peninsula] at all. “We’re doing this in order to prevent World War III,” Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told him. After Trump left the meeting, Woodward recounts, “Mattis was particularly exasperated and alarmed, telling close associates that the president acted like — and had the understanding of — ‘a fifth- or sixth-grader.’
Quote:
“You’re a goddamn staffer!” Bannon screamed at [Ivanka], telling her that she had to work through Priebus like other aides. “You walk around this place and act like you’re in charge, and you’re not. You’re on staff!” Ivanka Trump, who had special access to the president and worked around Priebus, replied: “I’m not a staffer! I’ll never be a staffer. I’m the first daughter.”
The following 7 users would like to thank taduncombe for this useful post: