View Single Post
Old 15.09.2018, 21:51

Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
John William has earned the respect of manyJohn William has earned the respect of manyJohn William has earned the respect of many
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
British tourists to Europe advised to get to know your IDP's

Here's another fine mess Moggers has got British tourists into; driving through Europe on their
summer holidays next year.

In the UK the 1968 ratification of the IDP comes into force on the 28th March 2019, therefore for
Non EU citizens to drive in the UK they may ( depending on which country they hail from ) need to
have the 1968 Convention version of an IDP with their driving license.

In the worst case scenario of a No Deal Brexit, British tourists driving down to Spain from the Channel
ports in France; will need the 1968 Vienna convention version of the IDP, for driving through France
and then be sure to have brought the 1949 Geneva convention version of the IDP ( before leaving the UK )
for driving through Spain.

All I can say is Nice one Moggers !! - I'm looking forward to your preface, to the re-release of the
1954 edition of Michelin's Great Continental Car journeys in Europe. No doubt blue british passports,
old style driving licenses with accompanying IDP's bring back fond memories of days gone by.

Gov.uk - Driving in the EU if there's a No Deal Brexit

What a result for British Expats and Immigrants with EU issued driving licenses

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what Gov.uk is saying about the continued
no quibble, carte blanche acceptance of EU issued Driving licenses ( no matter
whether the UK has a Hard or Soft Brexit ) in the UK after the 29th March.

British Expats & Immigrants, lets say in France with French driving licenses, can
drive wherever they please in the EU27 countries and can also be treated with
the same regard and deference, using their French driving license when traveling
in the Non EU - UK as they would have done if the UK had continued to remain
a member of the EU.

Along the lines of Plod stopping your French reg car and asking, can you show
me your driving license, Sir - Upon which you show Plod your EU flagged,
French driving license, after which he replies - Ah you have an EU French
driving license, that will do nicely Sir. Drive on please.

In which case, what a result - at least Expats have something to crow about when
visiting the UK next year after Brexit Day, would be great rubbing that one in with
the hard line Brexits.

Yes British Expats will be spared the joys of 1950's, 60's & 70's motoring in the EU
with IDP docs after Brexit Day.

Last edited by John William; 15.09.2018 at 22:03.