View Single Post
Old 01.10.2018, 13:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 17,288 Times in 4,455 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

The only solution I can see to the NI border would be to keep it open but make companies exporting from one side to the other to be responsible via their import/export agents to ensure that all paperwork is correct for later billing for VAT and Duty. And for there to be plenty of random spot checks with significant fines for companies (and their agents) flouting the rules.

I just can't see how they could man every border crossing otherwise. The whole question does remind me of Spike Milligans story about the old closed border when one day an old labourer walked through a crossing, wishing a "top o' the morning" to the border guards pushing a wheel barrow full of sand. He did the same the next morning but the third morning the guards wanted to know what he was smuggling in the sand so they made him empty the barrow.

They found nothing but he continued every morning, and once or twice a week they would do a random check but they never found anything. It took them some months to realise wheel barrows were more expensive in the north than the south.

Monger of fine British Cheeses
The following 5 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post: