View Single Post
Old 09.10.2018, 14:55
Forum Legend

Groaned at 236 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 19,977 Times in 8,116 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Avoiding Vaccination?

Quote:
'Sfunny. I used to be a passionate amateur historian, with an enormous interest in the Ottoman Empire from the 17th century to its demise. I still have tons of books and documents on the subject gathering dust in the library. I used to be able to talk for hours and hours on the decline of the Janissaries, the Tanzimat reforms, the Armenian massacres and Balkan nationalist movements, sometimes to actual people!

Had I met an actual scholar of Ottoman history, however, I'd have stfu and listened, because all the amateur research in the world will never touch proper academic rigour, the risk of a loss of reputation and the attention of an army of editors, not to mention attentive and eager rivals in the field.
In anti-vaxxer's case, "research" is hours spent scouring anti-vaccine sites looking for confirmation of already held beliefs.
The following 5 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post: