View Single Post
Old 12.10.2018, 03:44
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 59 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,449 Times in 865 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Nicola Sturgeon referring to Brexit at the SNP conference earlier this week: "Never has so much been lost by so many to satisfy so few"
Which her speechwriter thought would make a lovely soundbite. Did no one point out to either of them that the >17 million people who voted for the UK to leave the EU can hardly be thought of as "so few" people?

And before someone points out that this figure is only 37% of the UK electorate, please note that only 34% voted to stay in the EU.

Quote:
View Post
An article in Swissinfo today about what a no deal means for UK citizens in Switzerland
The article says nothing of value about "what a no deal means". It's the grimmest of grim hackery, written by someone who feels comfortable basing their conclusion that "UK citizens abroad are facing major uncertainty" on the 2:1 verdict of an online poll of... 50 people. Who these 50 people are, and even whether there is any evidence that they are all Brits living in Switzerland, and that not a single vote among the 50 came from the forefinger of the person who created that article, or his/her household, we do not know.

One thing that I personally do know for sure, as a member of the "UK citizens abroad" cohort, is that I do not feel even the mildest gust of apprehension, never mind the "major uncertainty" that we are all being urged to adopt.

Be realistic. There is minimal possibility of our lovely Swiss hosts deciding that citizens of their non-EU partners, the UK, those immigrants particularly welcome here for their native English language skills, should be pushed out. And frankly, even if the Swiss decided that their beautiful nation should be ethnically cleansed of British people, I would shake the collective CH hand, thank them for this wonderful decade, wish them well, and get on with the rest of my life. My affection for Switzerland and the Swiss would never drain away. Once experienced, the beauty of this country can never be un-experienced.

Last edited by Pachyderm; 12.10.2018 at 04:22.
This user would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post: