View Single Post
Old 19.10.2018, 13:50

Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
logo123 has earned some respectlogo123 has earned some respect
Re: Basel with 2 dogs

Quote:
View Post
Also bear in mind that as a non-EU you can't just decide to live anywhere in Switzerland. The rule is you live in the same canton as your workplace is based in so if that's Basel-Stadt that's where you need to be looking. You can ask another canton for permission to live there, but they have to approve a new permit for you and since your taxes go to the canton you live in the old canton might not be willing to let you go.
Some great insights here.
While I know you are looking for places to stay, Switzerland is like a group of towns which decided to call themselves a country. So many things are still driven by local regulations. Basel is very nice for dogs. What you may want to look for are places which are close to the river or close to the woods so that you can take your dogs for a walk. Also the point around people not being always comfortable with dogs is well made. Dogs I have seen here are exceptionally well behaved and trained (unlike my dog who was a bundle of raw energy). While there are other options like Canton Aargau (Rheinfelden, Moehlin etc.), it is not as easy to just go and stay there. Also note that any apartment/house you search for, you need to ensure they are comfortable allowing pets. Some are ok with small dogs but not big dogs. Additionally the same would need to be declared to the insurance companies as well. And cantons may also have their own rules for dog owners which you need to be aware of and follow. Switzerland is great for dogs and pets but as with all other things here, there is a process and you follow the process. All the best with the move.
This user would like to thank logo123 for this useful post: