View Single Post
  #4  
Old 04.11.2018, 19:08
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Medea Fleecestealer Medea Fleecestealer is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,460
Groaned at 354 Times in 269 Posts
Thanked 14,917 Times in 8,573 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lausanne

Welcome to the forum.

1) Bear in mind that Lausanne is on a hillside so if running up isn't you're thing you might have to look along the lakeside which will be quite expensive rental-wise. Have a look at these websites to get an idea of what's available in your price range.

www.immoscout24.ch
www.immostreet.ch
www.homegate.ch
www.home.ch

Note that kitchen/bathrooms/others don't get included in the room count so an ad that says 3 rooms will likely be a living room and 2 bedrooms, 3.5 a combined living/dining room and 2 bedrooms for example.

2) As said, international schools are expensive so that may govern where she goes to school. You can always help her English by reading to her at home, etc, if she goes into a public school.

3) You'd need to check if your insurance policy is accepted here in Switzerland. Most aren't, so you likely need to get Swiss health cover. You can play around on comparis.ch to see what would be the best plan for you.

https://en.comparis.ch/krankenkassen/default

The way the Swiss system works is each person has their own cover, if you're working more than 8 hours a week then your employer has to provide accident cover so you don't need to include it in your insurance. If you don't work then make sure this is added when taking out a policy.

Franchise range from CHF300 to CHF2,500 and this is what you would pay out of your own pocket for any medical costs before the insurance kicks in. Having a high or max figure usually means lower premiums and vice versa, but if you have existing conditions you might want to have a lower franchise and spend more on the premiums. Once you've spent your franchise (if you do during a year) the insurance then picks up 90% of the cost while you pay the remaining 10% on the next CHF7,000 medical costs, i.e. you pay CHF700. After that, the insurance picks up the whole cost - until the start of the new year when it reverts back to the beginning with the franchise again.

Pre-existing conditions are not taken into account for basic health cover which is very good here btw, the insurance company must take you no matter what the condition is. However, if you want some kind of supplementary cover such as a private room if you go into hospital or some specialist treatments for pre-existing conditions not covered by the basic insurance, these can be refused.

Lausanne in a on lake, of course there are fishmongers. Major supermarkets are Migros and Coop, but also Aldi and Lidl are here, plus Denner which is owned by Migros, but does cheaper stuff.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post: