View Single Post
Old 06.11.2018, 13:34
Forum Legend

Groaned at 349 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 16,166 Times in 8,224 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
No I don't, and I disagree. Someone we're talking about won't apply as a refugee but based on their exceptional professional capabilities, for instance for an EB-1a ("extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers") green card.

Now, there may be general bans for certain nationalities in place, I didn't check, but given the fact that the US had no problems employing former Nazis I rather doubt there is one.
I was referring to the more recent Trump's moves. I also have the feeling that it used to be easier for certain nationalities, before Trump, but am not so sure like you about the current situation, not even for the exceptionally skilled ones. USA has become like any other Western European country scared to death by immigrants, furiners and what not, which is sooo funny in a way.

That being said, I probably live in a bubble because I never encountered that sort of Americans in real life (EF is excluded from these considerations, obviously). The country looks like it has shifted enormously lately, but when you talk with common people or visit is something else. For the moment.