View Single Post
Old 06.11.2018, 14:48
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,102 Times in 803 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I was referring to the more recent Trump's moves. I also have the feeling that it used to be easier for certain nationalities, before Trump, but am not so sure like you about the current situation, not even for the exceptionally skilled ones.
I don't know about that. I have worked for multinational companies my whole life, and in 2009 my employer sent me to the US on an H1-B visa (for professional-level jobs that require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a specific academic field), with a 3-year contract. My employer had some kind of blanket visa allowance, which expired within a few months of my entry, which is why my H1-B had a duration of around 5 months, after which it would have be renewed. But guess what? They didn't accept my renewal. Employer negotiations and 2 or 3 lawyers later they switched me to an L-visa (for international transferees who will be coming to the United States to work in an executive or managerial or specialized knowledge capacity). The whole ordeal took 6 months, my family and I had to LEAVE the US to get the renewal stamped in my passport, and must have cost my employer thousands of dollars.

So in my humble personal experience I wouldn't qualify it as easy by any standards. And that was WAY before Trump.