View Single Post
Old 28.11.2018, 16:22
Forum Legend

Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,046 Times in 9,786 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
All I can see it's people in their fifties and sixties (Corbyn is 69, May is 62, Cameron 52, Farage 54), and I really mean no offence, are deciding on the future of the next generations who might want something totally different in say 10 years from now on. Do they have any idea how different these new generations are? I wouldn't be surprised if younger generations were much more open to the idea of Europe and not so much to the idealised glory of the old empire.
I think there has never been a time in the last 100 years or more that the youths didn't want something different to what the older generation were doing. It's how society works and its how change happens. Only the next generation will want something different again and everybody who lives long enough gets to see the problem from both sides. Of course it would be good if there was more dialogue and more concensus-seeking.

I don't know what the idealised glory of the old empire has to with it because honestly, the last generation that held the empire dear is long dead. There are other European countries who have a far more acute problem with the glorification of negative periods of their history.
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post: