View Single Post
Old 06.12.2018, 10:38
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,310 Times in 7,892 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On Line Shopping Uk, delivery to CH

Generally, you will pay MWSt and an administrative fee. Most companies should be able to deduct UK VAT, so on balance often a win.

With the exception of AmazonUK (from which I order frequently, with relatively few problems) and Landsend UK (a subsidary of a US company, with a decidedly US approach to customer service) I have had terrible luck ordering from UK retailers, big and medium sized.

Perhaps it really was just a run of bad luck, but each package ordered from a traditional UK retailer got stuck in Swiss customs due to lack of documentation. Most of the time the package ended up getting returned to the sender because it took the UK retailer's customer (dis)service reps too long to try to sort out the problem. And then the fun began, trying to sort out reimbursement.

One retailer with customs procedures issues, happenstance. Two, a coincidence. But half a dozen?

Granted, after the first half dozen failures I gave up ordering from UK retailers, so my few experiences should be taken as anecdotes only, certainly not meaningful data.

As always on EF, though, I'm sure you will find other posters with good experience.

(I do most of my online shopping with US retailers, mostly for delivery to the US as I am there frequently. But occasionally I still ship to Switzerland - never had a problem. In fact, several US retailers now go through Borderfree so you can pre-pay customs fees, which is a savings not only in time and hassle but also seems to be (so far) somewhat less expensive. I rarely buy clothing from Swiss retailers, simply because I can never find the things I want/need here.)

Last edited by meloncollie; 06.12.2018 at 10:57.
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: