View Single Post
Old 06.12.2018, 16:33
Forum Legend

Groaned at 410 Times in 323 Posts
Thanked 18,433 Times in 7,684 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
You don't necessarily need a male plant of your own to get fruit. Sometimes it suffices that a neighbour has one. Pollen can travel surprising distances. So just because one plant is dead and the other continues to bear fruit, it is no foregone conclusion that the dead one must be female.
No, it's not a conclusion but I don't know any neighbours with kiwis and there's a fair assumption that the middle of the two is the male.

I guess I could just ask the previous owner next time I see him.

Quote:
View Post
An ex-neighbour of mine had a single kiwi plant and always had lots of fruit until suddenly one year that stopped. I assumed that some other neighbout's plant had died or been cut down. When i sugegsted that to her it turned out she didn't even know they come in male and female.
Some varieties are self-pollinating so you don't actually need a neighbours plants.

There are many reasons why plants stop fruiting but if as you say, it suddenly stopped fruiting then yes, it may have lost it's pollination source.