Thread: Architect issue
View Single Post
Old 08.12.2018, 21:42

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koukoutas has no particular reputation at present
Re: Architect issue

Hi all,

Didn't want to open a new thread and as my case is somehow similar I thought of replying here.

When I was considering buying a house I invited an architect to come over and have a preliminary assessment of the house. In addition during his visit I explained what sort of renovations I wanted to do and asked him to provide a very rough budget so that I know if it makes sense for me to buy the house or not. He came back (via an email) with his budget where he also included his fee of 16% on the total cost. For the record, renovations were mostly limited to bringing down a couple of walls, painting the house internally, changing the electrical cables and fitting new floors.

I eventually bought the house and we started discussing the project in more detail with the architect. He visited the house one more time to take photos and further discuss our plans. He then prepared a more detailed budget with all expenses and some plans on the house but this time including an absolute fee that was close to 23% of the construction cost! When I challenged that, he presented a calculation according to the SIA (architects association) that is based on hours spent rather than construction cost.

I tried to explain that I am more comformable on the fee being based on something I can control (I. E. Construction costs) rather than his hours that I could never double check / challenge. He is adamant on that and it appears that we have reached an impasse.

I haven't signed anything yet so I could back off however I am sure that he will come back with fees incurred so far and given he will be bitter about not getting the project I am afraid he may charge a lot.

Therefore:
1) do you believe it is fair to pay for his work so far? If he would have sticked to the written pre advised fees (16%) I would continue with him; it is him who changed his mind in the middle of the process. The moment he advised the new fee we stopped all discussions on the house and focused on the fees only.
2) in case I am asked at the end to pay, what should I be expecting? I. E. What range would you consider normal for an average plan of an average architect office?